One of our centre’s aims is to improve the athletic performance of all of our members and to provide some incentive for children to strive to achieve. Rather than emphasise winning, we prefer to focus on the individual and their own performances, improving on their our Personal Bests.
Weekly “GOOD SPORT” Award
Based on Friday night’s Centre competition, this is awarded to athletes that behaviour exceptionally well and are deemed a “Good Sport”
CHRIS WATERSON AWARD
The Chris Waterson Award was introduced in honour of Christine Waterson who passed away in May 1997 after a long battle with cancer.
Christine, or Chris to all of her friends at Bramble Bay/Bracken Ridge Little Athletics, joined our centre with her family in 1986. She was always a willing worker and was always keen to help out in any organisation that her children became involved in.
It wasn’t long therefore, before Chris accepted a position on the committee, where she served for many years, firstly as Records Officer, then Secretary and finally as Registrar. She refused any attempts of thanks or recognition and was regarded as a hard working, quiet achiever by all who knew her.
In consultation with Chris’ family it was decided that the recipient of this award should reflect the type of athlete that Chris herself would have liked to see rewarded, and the following criteria was decided on:
- The recipient should be an athlete who would otherwise usually receive little recognition for their efforts.
- They should be polite towards all officials and other athletes.
- They should be keen to participate in all events.
- They should have a good attendance record.
- They will have been a club member for more than one season.
Committee members are asked to nominate eligible athletes and the recipient is decided by secret ballot and known only to the trophy committee until presentation.
Past Award Winners
Vicky Darling Encouragement Award
As the name indicates, the award was kindly donated by the previous State Member for Sandgate, Vicky Darling.
The recipients of this award should be:
- Chosen from the U9 Girls and U9 Boys age group
- Athletes who have shown many improvements in their performances throughout the season
- Athletes who have shown good sportsmanship in many situations
- Athletes who strive to do their best at all times
- Athletes who may not be otherwise recognised
- Athletes who have a good attendance record at Centre Competitions.
5 YEAR CERTIFICATES
A certificate is presented at the end of each season to those athletes who have attended Bracken Ridge Centre for 5 years.
10 YEAR AWARD
To receive a 10 year award is very special honour.
An athlete must have attended our centre for 10 consecutive years.