CHRIS WATERSON AWARD
The Chris Waterson Award was introduced in honour of Christine Waterson who passed away in May 1997 after a long battle with cancer.
Christine, or Chris to all of her friends at Bramble Bay/Bracken Ridge Little Athletics, joined our centre with her family in 1986. She was always a willing worker and was always keen to help out in any organisation that her children became involved in.
It wasn’t long therefore, before Chris accepted a position on the committee, where she served for many years, firstly as Records Officer, then Secretary and finally as Registrar. She refused any attempts of thanks or recognition and was regarded as a hard working, quiet achiever by all who knew her.
In consultation with Chris’ family it was decided that the recipient of this award should reflect the type of athlete that Chris herself would have liked to see rewarded, and the following criteria was decided on:
- The recipient should be an athlete who would otherwise usually receive little recognition for their efforts.
- They should be polite towards all officials and other athletes.
- They should be keen to participate in all events.
- They should have a good attendance record.
- They will have been a club member for more than one season.
Committee members are asked to nominate eligible athletes and the recipient is decided by secret ballot and known only to the trophy committee until presentation.